YWIB Online Platform
Young Women In Bio (YWIB) is pleased to announce
the launch of its new YWIB Online platform, which includes a dedicated YouTube channel
and associated Facebook page. Together,
these online resources provide access to young girls across the United States and in Canada to our educational and leadership programs and other opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) free of charge.
is launching this new initiative for young girls who are curious about STEM and want to learn more, but may not live in near one of our 13 chapter cities across the United States or in Montreal, and therefore are unable to attend our in-person
events and programs. For more information, click here.
kick this off, we are pleased to announce the availability of our YWIB COVID-19 online resources for all students. These are intended to bring some clarity to the current pandemic and help students understand the biology, epidemiology, and global
health risk of COVID-19.
YWIB Online Activities
Viruses/COVID-19 Crossword Puzzle (Answer Key here)
Shelter In Place/Hygiene Guidelines Crossword Puzzle (Answer Key here)
YWIB Federal Agency Acronyms Crossword Puzzle (Answer Key here)
YWIB Online Modules
These include a series of informative modules outlining the science and statistics behind COVID-19, and the science behind and reason for the shelter-in-place and personal hygiene recommendations from public health officials will be included in this online area. Click here to view! Keep checking back as we will be updating this regularly with additional materials like more modules and worksheets on the virus.
Currently available COVID-19 modules include
- COVID-19: Understanding the New Coronavirus Pandemic; Julie Huang, Ph.D.
- Epidemiology: Understanding the Spread of COVID-19; Dawn Spelke, Ph.D.
- New Vocabulary in the Era of COVID-19: Social Distancing, Self-Quarantine, and Isolation; Kristina M. Herbert, Ph.D.
- Safe Hygiene Practices in the Era of COVID-19; Barbara Troupin, MD, MBA
- COVID-19: Understanding Testing Julie Huang, Ph.D.
- COVID-19 Case Study: South Korea’s Patient 31; Kristina M.
- YWIB-RTP Operation Outbreak! A Virtual Webinar on Virus Biology for High School Students
; Stephanie Langel, Ph.D. and Julie Steinbrink, M.D.
- YWIB-RTP: What Happens in Clinical Trials & Why Technology Is Needed to Help Speed up the Process!; Jennifer Cho, Pooja Rajguru
- YWIB-Texas COVID-19 Presentation; Micaela Vargas, Ph.D.
- YWIB-RTP COVID-19 Question and Answer with Local Virus Experts; Stephanie Langel, Ph.D. and Julie Steinbrink, MD
- YWIB-Montreal-Students Exploring Montreal, Canada’s Response to COVID-19
Experiential Learning modules include
Other modules include
Resources for the latest information on COVID-19
There are tons of great resources to help you learn more about how COVID-19 is spreading and what we are doing to flatten-the-curve. Check out the links below!
Books to Read
Want to let others know about YWIB online? Please feel free to share the flyer located here.
If you have any questions about COVID-19 or our other online resources, please send us an email at email@example.com.