Originally the national headquarters of WIB, the Capital Region officially became its own chapter in October 2011. Located along the I-270 Corridor in Maryland from Bethesda to Frederick, and covering DC, Northern Virginia and the greater Baltimore area, our chapter is centrally located in the growing BioHealth Capital Region.
WIB-Capital Region is dedicated to creating opportunities for women in the life sciences and encourages them to translate novel discoveries into products. Our chapter symbolizes the significance of promoting the dynamic women in biotechnology and life sciences industries. Our members consist of professionals at leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology, device, and diagnostic companies, as well as non-profits, academic institutions, government agencies, and support service firms, like finance, law, and consulting.
The Capital Region chapter offers the following initiatives to support successful women leaders of today and create those of tomorrow:
- The Annual HERstory Gala in December honors women trailblazers in the life sciences who make significant impacts in the region. This event features networking, regional leaders as keynote speakers, and presentation of the Rising Star Award.
- Nominations for the Rising Star Award, are accepted year-round. Learn how to submit your nomination here.
- The WIB-Capital Region Mentorship, Advisors, Peers, and Sponsorship (MAPS) group mentoring program is for members only. MAPS members cover a range of careers and levels of experience ranging all types of careers and career levels. The MAPS program aims to cultivate mentoring relationships, create supportive networks, and offer opportunities to develop and improve professional leadership skills so that members can reach their fullest professional potential.
- WIB-Capital Region Young Women In Bio (YWIB) introduces middle and high school-age girls to
careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). YWIB outreach engages in outreach activities including diverse educational lectures, hands-on experiments, and site tours at local companies and academic institutions. YWIB also
works directly with schools, supporting student clubs and hosting discussions with teachers around current advances in the biotech industry.
- WIB-Capital Region Executive Women In Bio (EWIB) provides a platform for women executives and entrepreneurs in the region to connect and discuss special executive-focused topics.
You don’t have to be a WIB member to come to our events, but becoming a member has many benefits, including member pricing on events, the ability to participate in MAPs groups, access to free webinars from the Capital Region and other WIB chapters, and the ability to take on a leadership role.
Are you interested in a leadership role or getting involved as a volunteer? Learn more about our
committees and leadership opportunities here and get in touch at CapitalRegion@WomenInBio.org
Have a Speaker or Topic Idea?
Please share your ideas for an upcoming event topic, an idea for an event, or recommend a speaker by filling out the form located here. WIB will share your ideas with National & Chapter leaders to determine future events.
Leading Chapter Sponsor
Supporting Chapter Sponsor
Thank you to our donors for your kind donation in support of WIB's mission to promote diversity and inclusion for women in the life sciences: