Join WIB–Capital Region on February 21, 2018 for a panel discussion with industry experts that will help demystify venture capital funding in the biotech space.
Moderated by Crystal Icenhour; CEO, Aperiomics, and featuring panelists Kyp Sirinakis, Managing Partner, Expidarex Capital, and Laurie Silver, CFO, Brainscope, this session is intended to be highly interactive! In addition to having questions in mind for the Q&A session, we encourage you to send questions in advance to capitalregion@WomenInBio.org to help guide the discussion.
- Kyp Sirinakis, Managing Partner, Expidarex Capital – Kyp Sirinakis has more than 25 years of experience in creating and growing companies both as an early-stage venture investor and a senior executive in various technology and life science companies. Based in Maryland, Kyp is the Co-founder and Managing Director of Epidarex Capital, a transatlantic venture capital firm which invests in early stage life science and health technology companies in under-ventured markets within the US and Europe. Epidarex’s portfolio has a strong emphasis on university related spin-outs. Prior to launching Epidarex, she was part of the senior management team of MASA Life Science Ventures, an early stage life science venture fund. Kyp was the Founder and Managing Director of WomenAngels.net LLC, a fund investing in startup technology and healthcare companies in the Washington DC metro region. She was the CFO of Oncologix, a venture-backed, early-stage biotechnology company based in Gaithersburg which was subsequently sold to Antigenics, Inc. Kyp serves on the Board of the Tech Council of Maryland, the Sid Martin Advisory Council, and the Investment Advisory Committees for Virginia’s Center for Innovative Technology BioLife Fund, the Momentum Fund (University of Maryland System) and the Ivy Foundation at the University of Virginia. Kyp has held numerous directorships of start-up companies throughout her career and is currently on the Board of Harpoon Medical, Confluence Life Science, Sirakoss Ltd, Nodthera Ltd., IGEM Therapeutics Ltd. and Eternygen GmbH. She is a graduate of Boston College’s School of Management Honors Program.
- Laurie Silver, CFO, Brainscope – Laurie Silver has over 20 years’ experience with a financial, accounting, strategic planning and operations background. Prior to BrainScope, she served as Director of Mergers and Acquisitions for the Services group at Symantec, where she led the integration of the Services organizations upon the $13 billion merger of Symantec and Veritas, which was the largest software company merger in history. Prior to Symantec, Ms. Silver was the Vice President of Finance and Administration of TrueCareers, a subsidiary of Sallie Mae; Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis across all business units of ABC/Disney; and a Senior Auditor at Ernst & Young LLP in New York. Ms. Silver graduated from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and earned a CPA license from the State of New York. She has been with BrainScope since 2009.
- Crystal Icenhour, CEO, Aperiomics – Crystal R Icenhour, PhD has over 15 years of research and development experience in fields such as mycology, infectious diseases, molecular biology, molecular diagnostics, and bioinformatics. She has lead both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations in early stage biotechnology spaces. Dr. Icenhour has co-founded two biotechnology companies, authored numerous scientific publications, been issued two patents, received millions in small business grant funding, raised angel investor capital, and exited her first company through acquisition in 2013. She has deep knowledge in research, development, and operations of molecular diagnostic, infectious disease, and transformative technologies. Dr. Icenhour has raised $1.2 million in angel capital from high net-worth individuals to date. Additionally, she led acquisition efforts for her first company when approached with an unsolicited bid.
* - Walk-ins will be accepted at the door until event capacity is reached.
6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Check-in and Networking Reception
6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Presentation and Q&A.
Special Pricing for Guests
When registering, members can register guests at member price
Parking is available near venue:
- Spots labeled with “Emmes” may be available at the surface lot at 401 N. Washington. Other spots have a 3-hour limit
- Ample parking is available in Rockville Town Center lots, with Garage A at 330 Hungerford Dr, Rockville, MD 20850 being the closest
Public Transit Information
- RED line: Rockville is the closest Metro Station
- The location is within 0.6 miles of the Metro station