Thursday, April 12, 2018
3:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
The Papadakis Integrated Sciences Building at Drexel University
33rd and Chestnut Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104
« Go to Upcoming Event List
WIB-Philadelphia Metro's Young Women In Bio and Drexel University invite middle and high school girls to visit Drexel University's Integrated Sciences Building for a tour and talks on STEM. The girls will have an opportunity to meet and hear from faculty and current students in the Biology department while engaging in small group discussions. The discussions will cover a variety of topics including the current roles of the women, their roles in STEM and how they got to where they are today.
Please read the YWIB permission forms located here.
YWIB Participant Age Range
Middle and High School
Walk-ins and guests are not accepted – be sure to register early!
3:15 – 3:30 pm: Students Arrive and Check in at The Papadakis Integrated Sciences Building at Drexel University at 33rd and Chestnut Streets
3:30 – 3:45 pm: Introduction
3:45 – 4:45 pm: 20 Minute Mini Talks by Drexel Faculty and Drexel Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Faculty Bios can be found at the following link:
4:45 – 5:00 pm: Wrap Up
Pizza will be served at the event!
April 10, 2018
- Drexel Parking Garage - located on the southeast corner of 34th and Market Streets
- Public Parking - several locations around Market Street (both sides) between 30th and 32nd and at Chestnut and 34th. Note: Chestnut Street runs one-way EAST and the lot entrance is west of 34th Street
- Metered Lots - A-lot: 32nd Street (south of Chestnut Street, behind Creese Student Center). E-lot: 33rd Street (south of Chestnut Street, behind MacAlister Hall)
- Metered parking - available on Chestnut and Market Streets between 32nd and 34th and on 33rd and 34th Streets. Free parking, sometimes with hourly limits, is available north of Market Street
- Convenient SEPTA Routes to Drexel University Market-Frankford Line The Market-Frankford Line, popularly known as the Blue Line or the El, is a subway line that runs east and west along Market Street. The El is an easy way for Drexel students to get to Center City or further into West Philly. The El has two convenient stops for Drexel students on the University City Campus: 34th and Market streets, and 30th and Market streets.
- Broad Street Line The Broad Street Line, also known as the Orange Line, is a subway line that runs north and south along Broad Street. This subway route is a fast and convenient way to check out any one of Philadelphia's major sports teams at the Sports Complex in South Philly. For Center City students, the Orange line makes stops at Market and Spring Garden streets, as well as Market and Vine streets. For both University City and Center City students, the Orange line also has a free transfer at 15th and Market streets to the Market-Frankford Line.
- Trolleys and Buses If you are looking to head somewhere else in the city or into one of the surrounding Philadelphia suburbs, you may want to check out one of the many trolley and bus routes to get you where you need to go. Going east, all trolleys lead to Center City. It does not matter what trolley you take if you are heading east into Center City. The trolley stop on the University City Campus is at 33rd and Market streets.