Please join us for an fun evening of cocktails, networking, and a panel presentation discussing hot accounting and finance topics affecting the life science and pharma industries. Topics include current trends in financing arrangements, IP strategies, and how to get the most of out of your R&D activities.
Moderated by Maria Karalis, Assurance Office Managing Partner, CPA, BDO, our panel includes the following:
- Priyanka Mahajan, Senior Vice President, Investment Banking Global Equity Capital Markets Joseph Gunnar & Co., LLC
- Natallia Shapel, STS-International Partner, BDO
- Sue Schwer, Senior Manager, R&D Tax Services, BDO
- Maria Karalis, CPA Stamford Office Managing Partner, Assurance Country Coordinator - Cyprus, Greece, Ireland & United Kingdom, NY Metro Life Science Practice Leader, BDO. Maria Karalis began her career with BDO in 1994, providing audit and business advisory services to domestic and multinational private and publicly held companies that operate in a variety of industries. During her tenure at BDO, she has been involved with companies undergoing initial public offerings and private placements as well as domestic and international mergers and acquisitions. Maria was admitted into the partnership in 2001.
- Priyanka Mahajan, Senior Vice President, Investment Banking Global Equity Capital Markets Joseph Gunnar & Co., LLC. Priyanka Mahajan joined Joseph Gunnar as Senior Vice President in the firm’s Investment Banking department. Ms. Mahajan started her career as Vice President of Investment Banking at Chardan Capital Markets, LLC. Over a four-year span at Chardan, she worked on more than 89 transactions, including 38 Chardan lead-managed transactions. Ms. Mahajan was involved with all aspects of the firms’ banking business including deal structuring and execution, interfacing with institutional investors and counsel. Priyanka was also Vice President of Global Equity Capital Markets at Rodman & Renshaw, LLC and Aegis Capital Corp. Over a four-year span at Aegis, she worked on more than 100 offerings as book-runner or co-manager, raising nearly $3 billion in gross proceeds. Ms. Mahajan is a Series 7, Series 63, Series 24 and Series 79 licensed Registered Representative. She is a member of 85 Broads, an international non-profit education organization founded in 1997 with headquarters in New York and a presence in 90 countries. Ms. Mahajan is a member of High Water Women, a volunteer-driven organization working with non-profit partners. Ms. Mahajan holds an M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance from Baruch College, CUNY and a B.Comm in Accounting & Investments.
- Natallia Shapel, STS-International Partner, BDO. Natallia has over 14 years of public accounting experience delivering tax consulting and compliance services to public and private companies. Natallia specializes on advising US and foreign multinationals on various aspects of international tax laws, including tax planning and structuring of U.S. in- and outbound investments, supply chain planning, cross-border reorganizations, tax treaties, due diligence and U.S. tax compliance. In addition, Natallia has significant experience successfully representing taxpayers during international tax examinations.
- Sue Schwer, Senior Manager, R&D Tax Services, BDO. Sue is a Senior Manager with BDO’s R&D Tax Services Practice for our Northeast U.S. Region. Sue has more than 25 years of experience as a project manager specializing in business process design and systems development. Her experience has included managing global multiple million-dollar projects, developing new financial services products, exploring and implementing new technology and working with startup businesses. Sue has conducted and managed R&D Tax Credit Studies across a variety of industries including, pharmaceuticals, defense, manufacturing, food, and software. Before joining BDO, Sue was the Regional Engagement Director for a professional service firm specializing in R&D tax credits and incentives. Sue’s prior experience includes product development roles at Merrill Lynch and several software firms. Sue has twelve years of experience implementing R&D tax credit studies that have resulted in clients documenting, claiming, and sustaining R&D tax credits and incentives ranging in tens of thousands to millions of dollars.
Walk-ins are not accepted – be sure to register early!
November 6, 2017
BDO USA, LLP
622 Third Avenue Suite 3100
New York, NY 10017
Leading Chapter Sponsors
Supporting Chapter Sponsors